Sooner rather than later, to work effectively in SEO you must have a good content marketing strategy behind. You want to know why? I’ll tell you in this article, where I’ll also explain the advantages of applying content marketing to your strategy and how to do it . We start?
What is and what comprises a content marketing strategy?
The marketing of content (or content marketing) is a marketing technique that is based on creating, publishing and sharing content of interest to your buyer person.
If you are wondering about the main requirements to launch a valid content strategy, you can take note of these two:
- Have a well defined buyer who you want to address.
- Lay out the knowledge you want to transmit to your target audience in different formats: blog articles, downloadable guides, video tutorials, podcasts, infographics, etc.
Thanks to this marketing technique you will be able to work throughout the user’s purchase cycle . That is, the process that a person goes through since he realizes that he has a need until he decides to buy a product / service to solve it.
In this process, it is key to awaken your interest with the perfect information at the ideal moment. So you will need different content to answer the questions of your buyer person in any of its phases in the purchase cycle.
Do you need examples? I propose some to apply in the different phases:
- With your blog you can help you learn and create an opinion on a specific topic.
- With your ebooks and whitepapers you can offer comparative information of different solutions to your problem or need.
- On the prices or services page you can show him why you are his best option.
- Through videos with testimonial interviews you can convey how positive the experiences of other clients have been with the brand.
Always keep in mind that the contents will have to respond to the needs and problems of your ideal client , only then you can build a successful strategy. If you are interested in reviewing the details about the creation of your buyer.
Why should you start working on content marketing?
It is likely that you have already heard or read about content marketing on more than one occasion. And, indeed, in recent years this technique has been gaining more and more followers for its user-friendly nature , but, above all, because it meets a number of conditions that please Google:
- Fresh content due to the constant renewal of articles on the blog.
- Information relevant to the user, which he shares through social networks.
- The user is the center and the text is oriented to his understanding of a topic, not the placement of keywords.
This does not imply that when launching a content marketing campaign you will have to forget about working at the SEO level. In fact, there is a very close relationship between one thing and another because content marketing allows you to work on many different keywords . And this translates into an increase in the chances of appearing in the search results .
If this already seems like an interesting point for your business, read on! Surely you can get more out of your content marketing strategy.
As I commented a bit above, one of the great advantages of content marketing is that it allows you to work with multiple keywords. Moreover, there are ways to work that can be very effective. I keep telling you!
In eyet, for example, we have seen that SEO becomes something much more useful if it is approached from a long-tail perspective . Instead of trying to position an article or web page by a highly competitive keyword, the results are more profitable if you search the long-tail of this keyword and write articles related to it.
What advantages are obtained in practice? Working your keywords in this way entails:
- Less competition to be placed in the top positions of the search engines.
- Good rankings for the long-tail of the keyword that you consider to be the main one.
- Multiple results that, if relevant, will also be positioned for the most important keyword.
The purpose of content marketing is to attract potential customers through relevant content and quality that can retain them, and later make them end up becoming a customer.
I propose a case study that we have worked with in eyet services so that you can understand how beneficial it can be to use a content marketing strategy based on long-tails. It is a company whose target keyword was very competitive. Using the long-tail derived from this, with about 30 exact searches per month, they have managed to capture more than 2,000 visits per month. It all adds up! 😉
Before you start: what to keep in mind?
The first step is to prepare a good content plan and pre-schedule the contents that you will upload day by day. It will help you to plan in the long term, to have a greater perspective and visibility, and to be able to differentiate audiences to create specific contents for each one of your buyer person.
The key to success is to offer the right content at the right time. That is, offer your buyer the person the information you need according to the stage of the purchase process in which you are. Also, remember to do it with the most appropriate format, because not only the quality of the information matters, but also its presentation. In addition, it can be a useful tool to get to know your client better. Never miss this opportunity!
These are some types of content that you can use in your content marketing strategy:
- Guides / tutorials
I recommend you take advantage of each one without losing sight of the objectives of the campaign.
Also, remember that listening to your users and collecting their feedback to know what they need and what they are interested in can help you identify which topics are of interest to you and generate content that will add value. There lies one of its secrets!
How to start your content marketing strategy?
The first step is to establish where you want to start. To start up your content marketing strategy, you have two main channels available:
- The blog of your company . This is considered one of the main channels of content marketing and for which I recommend gambling. Writing a blog has many advantages from a marketing point of view and can help you:
- Position yourself for a topic organically . We have seen in the previous paragraphs how to work the keywords in a structured way can help you reach a better position even if your business belongs to a very crowded sector.
- Create valuable content for your readers . You will have an own channel to offer solutions to the pains of your buyer person.
- Be known as an expert in your sector . If you work well the contents will be able to create engagement in the users and have them re-consult your blog when they look for information related to your sector. In other words, they will see you as a reference.
- Opportunity to capture records to create your own database . Applying strategies such as offering more elaborate content in exchange for data in forms, for example, you can develop other points of your marketing strategy such as lead nurturing and lead score to accompany your buyer person throughout the purchase cycle.
- Make your brand, product or service known . A blog with quality content and a good SEO strategy will help improve the positioning of your brand, increase traffic to the web of your company and will make more and more people know you.
- Social networks . Through the social networks of your company you can spread specific contents. The most usual thing is to complement this channel with your blog. Thus, on the one hand, you will give greater visibility to your articles and, on the other, you will be able to take advantage of content already generated to adapt it and share it through the networks.
You can get a lot out of the posts of your blog to:
- Create attractive graphics and images.
- Produce videos
- Personalize messages for each of your target audiences or according to the social network where you publish it.
- Create tests
To give more impetus to your strategy, especially at the beginning, you can opt for online payment advertising on Google or on social networks (Facebook Ads, LinkedIn Ads …). You will get positioned in the search engines and spread your content on social networks.
Also, keep in mind that the content you produce (no matter which broadcast channel you use) will also be a very useful listening tool. Comments, likes, profiles of followers or collaborations with influencers can offer you a lot of information about how your strategy is working and help you improve it if it is the case.
Once you have decided to bet to start creating content marketing, you will see that it will only bring you benefits!
Content marketing and inbound marketing
As you have seen, content marketing is based on creating contents and then disseminating them and adding value to our target audience.
But how does this fit with other marketing techniques? Content marketing can be considered as a first part of inbound marketing . However, inbound marketing is much more extensive and is responsible for other areas such as the conversion of the records captured in the company’s clients.
Without a doubt, working your content in the framework of an inbound strategy will bring many benefits to your business :
- More traffic to your blog and more visibility for your brand
- Increase in records
- Increase in qualified leads
- Educate your audience and make you a reference in your sector
- It is more profitable in the long term
- Improve your relationship with your clients and increase engagement
It is a very attractive scenario that is based on a good content marketing strategy. And you, are you still thinking whether to implement your global marketing strategy with a content marketing plan? The reasons are too many!